Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Review: May B. by Caroline Starr Rose

Title: May B.
Author: Caroline Starr Rose
Publisher: Schwartz & Wade (January 2012)

Source: Received from publisher via NetGalley
Summary from Goodreads:
May is helping out on a neighbor's Kansas prairie homestead—just until Christmas, says Pa. She wants to contribute, but it's hard to be separated from her family by 15 long, unfamiliar miles. Then the unthinkable happens: May is abandoned. Trapped in a tiny snow-covered sod house, isolated from family and neighbors, May must prepare for the oncoming winter. While fighting to survive, May's memories of her struggles with reading at school come back to haunt her. But she's determined to find her way home again. Caroline Starr Rose's fast-paced novel, written in beautiful and riveting verse, gives readers a strong new heroine to love.
Review:
I fell in love with the cover when I requested this book. I just loved the artwork and HAD to read it. If you haven't figured it out, I'm a sucker for beautiful covers. :)

May's story is told in free verse and even though it was hard to read at the beginning, it was surprisingly easy to catch on and I loved the poetic flow to the story that grabbed me from the beginning. I think the free verse would be hard to understand for students who aren't the strongest of readers. This book reminds me a lot of The Little House on the Prairie series and the harsh realities of pioneer life.

The best part of this book is that you root for May. She's a fighter and she perseveres through such difficult circumstances, like being abandoned by her family, you can help but want to cheer her on! What a wonderful character for young girls to look up to! May is a heroine in unexpected ways and I can't wait to share this book with my students!



Rating:
4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs