I don't usually watch movies on opening days. I like to stay away from the long lines and huge crowds. However, my co-workers and I decided to go see the movie altogether and I couldn't pass it down because my poor hubby sat through "New Moon" and I knew he wouldn't take me to see "Breaking Dawn." We kicked off our weekend by going to our local theatre together and other than having our previous students, who are now 6th graders, sit a few rows in front of us... it was a pretty cool experience to go with other people who like the Twilight series.
For those who have NOT seen the movie, please be forewarned that there are SPOILERS ahead.
Things I liked:
- I loved the wedding scene. It was so much more beautiful and grand than I imagined in my head. It was very much the over-the-top celebration that Alice would have wanted. I loved all the hanging flowers too... so romantic! It was very beautiful.
- How much do I love the Cullen's home? Did anyone else notice that they had bookshelves all throughout the house? I loved it from the first movie and it just seems to get better and better.
- Headboard scene. (Need I say more?)
- They spent a lot of time with Edward and Bella on their honeymoon. :) That's all I'll say about that. Remember, we were watching THAT with our former students in front of us. (Can you say AWKWARD?!)
- Any line that came out of Charlie's mouth. He was perfect as Bella's dad throughout the whole movie. Billy Burke's facial expressions were right on point.
- Seth. He's so dang cute!
- I appreciated that they limited the goriness of the birth scene. Blood doesn't always make me queasy, but I was not looking forward to watching that scene. Even though I wouldn't want to watch it again, it was not as bad as it was in the book. Thank you for that.
- They left us hanging. It was a great cliffhanger and I can't remember what happens next, but I'm looking forward to the 2nd part.
- Bella's wedding dress - it didn't flatter her body at all. The back was nice, but what was with all the patches of fabric? It looked awkwardly sewn together and didn't help Kristen Stewart's awkward face walking down the aisle either. I actually liked her dress in her dream better.
- Taylor Lautner's acting. I just can't take his lines seriously, I'm sorry. They had him take off his shirt within the first minute of the movie. I mean, he is nice on the eyes, but really?
- The wolf scene where they're talking to each other telepathically was a little corny. It seemed so cool in the books. They could have done that better.
- Kristen Stewart's acting. I wish they casted differently. She's not the Bella I pictured in my mind when I was reading and Bella's character is not so melancholy like she ALWAYS is no matter what expression she's trying to emote. She did play the part where Bella was almost dying surprisingly well though.
- The soundtrack. I was spoiled with the soundtrack even before the movie came out on Spotify and I love whoever chooses the songs for the movies. They did an excellent job.
Overall, I enjoyed the movie and sharing it with other Twilight fans. I wish I had reread the book before watching the movie again because I read it so fast the first go around several years ago and I really had a hard time remembering things, like who people were. From what I do remember though, I think it stayed true to the book and I am looking forward to Part II next year. I recommend going it with low expectations. I don't know why I keep expecting the movies to get better each time, but I think if you go in with lower expectations, then maybe you won't come out of the movie disappointed.
3 out of 5 stars