Pages

Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Top 10 in 2011: Best covers


Lisa at A Life Bound by Books, Jessica from Confessions of Bookaholic, Rachel from Fiktshun, and Jaime and Patricia from Two Chicks on Books are hosting a week of looking back and looking forward through the Top 10 of 2011 series. Each day I will be posting a new Top 10 list. I love making lists so it will be nice to recap this year's books with these Top 10 lists.

Top 5 Books Covers of Books I've Read in 2011

Title: One Day
Author: David Nicholls

Why I loved this cover:
I don't usually like movie covers for books because it's not the "authentic" cover, but I actually bought this book specifically with this cover because I just love the moment it captures. I love the muted colors and it definitely fueled my crush on Jim Sturgess. Yum.

Title: Breadcrumbs
Author: Anne Ursu

Why I loved this cover:
The colors in this cover are absolutely beautiful. I am currently reading aloud in my classroom. It does a great job of capturing the colors of a sunset on a snowy day. Love the swirly wind gusts of snow too.

Title: Scones and Sensibility
Author: Lindsay Eland

Why I loved this cover:
Most of my library trips this year were intentionally because I went to pick up books that I put on hold. While browsing the stacks, I came across this cover and couldn't put it down. Love the colors and all the curly-cues. The recipe on the back cover was also very cute.

Title: Bookends
Author: Jane Green

Why I loved this cover:
I read Bookends years ago, but loved this new cover design after seeing it in the bookstore one day. I tried to use PaperBackSwap.com with Requestor Conditions to request books with this cover, but that was just a huge headache. I did eventually get a book with this cover, but I'm still working on building a collection of Jane Green books with the illustrated covers versus the photographic ones.

Title: Wonderstruck
Author: Brian Selznick

Why I loved this cover:
The shading in this cover is amazing. If you really look at it closely, there is a cityscape at the bottom and the lightning bolt looks completely white even though everything was shaded around it. Beautiful!






Top 5 Books Covers of Books I added to my to-read list in 2011: (I didn't get a chance to read these books, but I did add them to my to-read list this year.)

Title: Anna Dressed in Blood
Author: Kendare Blake

Why I loved this cover:
I saw this book EVERYWHERE on the blogosphere this year. There seems to be a trendy of the silhouette of a girl in a dress on YA book covers lately, but this one really drew me in. Love the juxtaposition of the white and red.

Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Author: Michelle Hodkin

Why I loved this cover:
This was another one of those books that I could not avoid on the blogosphere. Each and every time, I'd catch myself just staring at the cover. The image is just so mesmerizing. Great choice of font too.

Title: Friendship Bread
Author: Darien Gee

Why I loved this cover:
I love the bokeh in this photo - that's photographer-talk for blurriness. :) It's so bright and warm too!

Title: A Vintage Affair
Author: Isabel Wolff

Why I loved this cover: I'm a sucker covers with pretty dresses. Put a pretty dress on a cover and there is a high statistical chance of me adding it to my freakishly long to-read list. One of my favorite Pinterest boards is my "pretty dresses" board. I picked up this book after finding it for sale for a $1 at our local library bookstore. Haven't read it yet, but looking forward to it.

Title: A Tale Dark and Grimm
Author: Adam Gidwitz

Why I loved the cover:
I raved about this book earlier this year and it's mainly because the cover drew me in. I love all the details in the branches of the trees. It's sitting on my nightstand. Hopefully I can read it sometime soon!









What are your favorite covers of 2011?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs