Pages

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Book Review: The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil

BeachStreetCover.JPG
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars.
Published December 22nd 2009 by Hyperion
(first published March 10th 2007)

Initially, I picked up this book because I was attracted to the colors on the cover. I am a sucker for pretty covers. Also, I was intrigued by the idea of a knitting club and owning a wool shop by the seaside. I only have very novice knitting skills, but I've been interested in the idea of attending a "Stitch n Bitch" group to learn more. I think this book was an indirect way to participate in one.

The story revolves around Jo, whose husband dies in a car crash right after he reveals that he's been having an affair and wants a divorce. After his death, she moves to a seaside town with her two young boys. She takes over her grandmother's wool shop and makes new friends with various people in town. These friendships help her through this difficult time in her life as she figures out what she's all about.

I had a hard time finishing this book. Sometimes I enjoy reading books that are easy to relate to because it feels like a typical day for any person. However, this book felt too much like that. It never really gained momentum for me and I struggled to finish it. The characters lacked depth and I actually had a hard time keeping track of all the characters since none of them really had much of a back story. The story jumps all over the place from event to event without really give much detail to each one. Plus, I wanted more of a leading man in the story. I won't say more than that, but I was hoping for more of a love story. What I did enjoy about this book was the friendship she developed with a famous celebrity and how they help each other through challenging circumstances.

Overall, it was a light read and might be good for you if you are looking for something quick, easy and uncomplicated.





This is book #10 of the year. I am participating in the 2011 Goodreads Reading Challenge. My goal is to read 50 books this year.

If you are interested in this, you can request it at PaperBackSwap.com. It is currently on My Bookshelf.


image courtesy of: me (I drew the cover myself.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs