Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Throwback Thursday :: 2 :: Shel Silverstein


This week's Throwback Thursday is in honor of National Poetry Month. I know there's only a few more days in April, but thought I'd give a little love to the poets out there.

I LOVED Shel Silverstein when I was kid. Where the Sidewalk Ends, A Light in the Attic and then when I was a little older, Falling Up. I used to always check those out of the school library and try to memorize the poems. I remember reading his books, cover to cover, with all the silly poems and pictures inside. I think one of my favorite ones is where the kid try to sell his sister, I don't quite remember the exact title. Needless to say, I did have my own little sister AND brother of my own. :) I remember when I first started to understand poetry around 5th or 6th grade. Sarcasm started to make sense.

As a teacher, my students still love the Shel Silverstein books and they often go missing from my classroom library.

Shel Silverstein's books were some of the first poetry books I ever read and I thank him for making poetry fun - for me and many, many other young children.



Do you have a favorite Shel Silverstein poem?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs