Pages

Friday, April 29, 2011

TGIF :: 3 :: Standalone or Series?




Happy Friday! This feature is from GReads and I recap the posts from the week and also ask a fun question. TGIF everyone!







This Friday's Question:


Standalone vs. Series: what's your stance?

There are times when I actively choose not to read because I can get compulsive about it when I get started. I get so into the book that I choose reading over sleep and then I end up staying up way past my bedtime on a school night and I pay for it the following day. That being said, I am very much drawn to book in a series.



I think my love of series developed when I discovered The Baby-Sitters Club around 3rd or 4th grade. Like many other girls my age, we devoured each book and quickly moved onto the next one even though they all had similar formulas for the story format. The Baby-Sitters Club is one of the reasons why I started to read much more avidly as a child and it will always hold a special place in my heart.



Scholastic recently re-released The Baby-Sitters Club with new covers to replace the outdated, very 80's-looking covers. I know my students don't pick up the BSC books in my library because of the old covers.



A few years ago they also started doing graphic novels as well and I loved reading them, even as an adult. It was interesting how much the characters have been modernized for the young generation of today. I'm hoping that these two efforts might help get these well-loved books into the libraries of today's young girls.

I think I am a series reader because when I finish a book, especially a really good one, I always want to linger in the story a little longer. I don't want to leave the characters that I've gotten to know and the places that I've "lived" in for a little while. I realize that often times there are sequels that just don't live up the first book or two. However, then again there are series like Harry Potter that just got better and better as it went on.

What about you?

This week's posts:


1 comment:

  1. I loved these books so much! This post makes me want to go and read them again!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs