Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Armchair BEA: Beyond the Blog


Day Four: Beyond the Blog

I really don't have any plans to write someday and one of the best perks of being book blogger is getting books... but other than that, I haven't really done anything special beyond my blog. Maybe someday?

I realized after browsing a lot of blogs from yesterday's topic on Networking that I probably have more to say about author signings than I originally thought. I noticed that a lot of people mentioned that they live in a small town where a lot of authors don't visit. I am blessed that I live in a big metropolitan city, San Diego, in Southern California where a lot of authors do pass through (especially in Los Angeles). I have attended the LA Times Festival of Books twice now and have met lots of children's authors that I never would have met otherwise.

I am late in posting my LA Times Festival of Books recap, but I'll share a little teaser here.

I hope you will forgive me for bragging a little bit...

At the festival this year, I got to hear speak, meet and speak with, and get an autograph from one of my favorite authors of all time - Judy Blume. She was such a delight to listen to. I didn't get to say much because I was starstruck for sure, but I did manage to get out a thank you for being one of the major reasons why I became the reader I am today. It was SUCH an honor.


I need to do my post-event recap with photos with Cheryl Burke, Michael Buckley, Jeff Kinney and Molly Shannon. SOON! I promise!

Thanks for dropping by!

9 comments:

  1. Oh I love Judy Blume! She is my hero and I'm envious you got to meet her!

    Shelleyrae @ Book'd Out

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meeting Judy Blume would be so amazing! Very jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would be starstruck in the presence of Judy Blume as well. She started many of us on the road to becoming readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O M G

    You are so totally lucky.. Judy Blume has been a fixture in my heart since I started reading her books when I was nine. LOVE her.
    Here's my Day 3 psot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful to meet Judy Blume! Iconic!

    Even those of us in metropolitan areas (I'm in Chicago area) often we don't know what's going on around us. I'm lucky to have a great bookstore who hosts author events all the time - and really big names. But even my local library is jumping in; from reading the free flyer I got in the mail I saw several YA authors are coming to a branch library. I don't know that they've hosted events like that before, so you never know. If we use our local branches, why not ask if they've ever hosted authors and give a few ideas? Maybe they think there isn't interest.

    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I also live near a large metropolitan area, but I have trouble convincing myself to go to the events because they are just so large! Coming from a smaller city, I enjoyed the intimate author events. Here is seems like everything is mobbed & you wait forever. I'm hoping to find a balance so I can enjoy these events. Tattooed Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. That does sound amazing! I actually would really like to visit the LA Times Festival of Books--I heard it was just as big as BEA.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're lucky you got to meet her =D

    Wow, I would love to meet an author whose books I adore.

    My Armchair BEA: Beyond my Blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. so lucky..Judy Blume has been a fixture in my heart celebrity dresses

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs