Pages

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Book Review: Love You More by Jennifer Grant

Title: Love You More
Author: Jennifer Grant

Website | Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads 

Publisher: Thomas Nelson (August 9, 2011)

Source: Received from publisher from BookSneeze.

Did I like the cover?: Very simple, but fits the book. I like the silhouette of the little girl.

First lines: It's just life. One moment I'm standing in the frozen foods aisle, looking for puff pastry sheets or a bag of chopped spinach, and the next I'm fielding a delicate question from a stranger about my family or my reproductive health. "When you become the parents of a child of another race, you become a conspicuous family," a social worker said when my husband and I began the adoption process. "Are you ready for that?"

Book synopsis from Goodreads:
Following the invisible thread of connection between people who are seemingly intended to become family, journalist Jennifer Grant shares the deeply personal, often humorous story of adopting a fifteen-month-old girl from Guatemala when she was already the mother of three very young children.
Her family's journey is captured in stories that will encourage not only adoptive families but those who are curious about adoption or whose lives have been indirectly touched by it. Love You More explores universal themes such as parenthood, marriage, miscarriage, infertility, connection, destiny, true self, failure and stumbling, and redemption.

In Love You More, Jennifer describes the way she feels God has brought her family together and completed it with the adoption of her daughter.
Review:
This memoir is about a woman's journey through adopting a daughter from Guatemala and the changes in her life along the way. Grant already had three biological children of her own, but answers God's calling and adopts fourth child - a little girl. This book is written for parents of all kinds, but couples that are thinking about or have been through adoption will find Grant's personal story inspirational, but also very real.

Grant shares herself very openly throughout the book and does not hold back on sharing her insecurities, doubts and battles with her own perceptions (as well as society's) of parenting. Grant does a great job of keeping God at the center of her story and sharing her real struggle to do God's Will. I enjoyed hearing her "voice" pour out of the pages. It felt very much like I was having a conversation with a close girlfriend. I appreciate that she does not hold back on the challenges of the adoption process.

Also, I appreciated that Grant shared her heart for children living in poverty around the world. She provides resources for those interested in adoption, but also for those wanting to support organizations that work to positively impact the lives of children around the world.

The only thing I didn't like about the book was that I felt like she jumped around a little bit and at times it was hard to figure out if she was flashing back or not. 

Overall:
It was a great read for a new mother like myself even though God has not put on my heart to adopt. I definitely recommend it to parents of all kinds.

Rating:
4 out of 5 stars 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs