Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2015

ALA Awards 2015

The ALA Awards were announced on Monday! I love finding out who won which awards and guessing who I think might win. (I'm always wrong, by the way.) One of these years, I'd like to hold a Mock Newbery or Mock Caldecott with my students. I've been wanting to do that for awhile now, just got to get more organized and collect more books beforehand.

2015 Newbery Award Winner 


The Crossover by Kwame Alexander

I was surprised by this choice, frankly because this is the first time I've ever heard of this title before. Anyone else with me on this? Maybe because the cover doesn't really stand out to me (I remember books by their covers). It sounds interesting though and I'm curious to read it to find out what made it "Newbery-worthy." 

2015 Newbery Honor Books


Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

This is one of the books that I thought would win the Newbery because of all the buzz around it, especially ever since the We Need Diverse Books campaign started last May. Definitely excited to read it sometime this year. 



El Deafo by Cece Bell

I read this while hanging out with the girls at the bookstore one day and it was a delightful graphic novel. I just purchased a copy for my classroom library in my January book order, so I'm sure it'll be flying off my shelves soon. 


2015 Caldecott Winner


The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend by Dan Santat

The colors and illustrations in this book are just so right and beautiful. Loved the story too. Glad that it won the Caldecott. It was very deserving. 

2015 Caldecott Honor Books

Nana in the City by Lauren Castillo

This is one of my favorite pictures of the year. It was a delightful story and the illustrations were rich and colorful, just like what you'd expect fall to be like in New York City. 

Sam & David Dig a Hole by Mac Barnett

Jon Klassen has quickly become one of my favorite illustrators. His illustrations are straightforward, but quirky and cute at the same time. I loved this picture book and found it very entertaining, even for adults. 




This list is not of all the winners, but just the ones that stood out to me because I've either read them or they are on my to-read list. To read to full list of winner, check out the official ALA Awards page here.



What are your thoughts on the winners this year? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs