Pages

Monday, January 5, 2015

2015 Nerdlutions


I don't usually make New Year's Resolutions because I usually set myself up for disappointment. However, I am not against goal-setting, especially since I encourage it in my students all the time. So in the spirit of a clean slate and a new beginning, I thought I'd make a few Nerdlutions. 

What's a Nerdlution? I found this on Colby Sharp's blog:

Last year a bunch of Nerdy Book Club friends started #Nerdlution. A nerdlution is basically just a resolution. I think the “nerd” in front shows our desire to become nerdy about our goal. We can be super nerdy about our books, about teaching,  about our families, etc. I think of a nerdlution as a chance to take something that is missing from your life and make it something that you kick butt at. It might be a fitness goal or it could be a writing goal. I’m sure that you have an idea of what you want to work on.

Sounds easy enough. So here goes my Nerdlutions for 2015:

Read more books

I do a ton of reading, but actually most of the reading that I do is online (blogs, articles). I haven't been reading physical books as often as I would like. I've gotten into a bad habit of doing EVERYTHING on my phone because as a nursing mom, for a while, all I could do was whatever was on my phone. I haven't be able to break that habit, but that leads to me to my 2nd Nerdlution...

Unplug from social media on regular basis

I am addicted to my phone. There, I said it. Out loud. *phew*

I have been trying to put my phone down more and engage with the real world more the past couple of days. It's been nice, especially to try to be more present with my family. I know I won't be perfect with this on a daily basis, but I think if I make a conscious effort to unplug on regular basis, it will help to break this addiction of mine. Plus, it'll force me to be more strategic with the time I spend online if it's more limited.

Grow as a writing teacher

One of my professional goals this year has been to improve in my writing instruction. Teaching writing has always been my weakest subject and this year, I decided that I was going to devote time and energy to learning more about teaching writing. My co-worker (work wifey) Jenny, and I have been reading Lucy Calkins' work and we're using the Units of Study for the first time this year. I am enjoying this process even though it means that I'm stepping out of my comfort zone. Jenny and I are hoping to attend the Teachers College Reading and Writing Project Summer Institute at Columbia University in June. SO excited! (More on that later.)


Make it to the 100 Club at Pure Barre

I joined Pure Barre last February and I thought that I would have made it to 100 by the end of the year, but the holidays just hit me hard and I haven't been able to get back in a routine. I just finished my 80th class, so hopefully I will meet this goal by February. Plus, anyone else need to work off all the extra calories they've eaten this past month? I think I'll be okay if I don't eat another holiday cookie for a long, long time (and I love me some cookies). 


Blog. Just blog.

I've been blogging for about 15+ years now. I started journaling online back in freshman year of college and I've gone through phases with various blogs. I am such an "all-or-nothing" person, but let's see if I can try to get into a rhythm and routine with blogging. Also, a side-nerdlution to this one is to not beat myself up over not blogging too. 


Follow along as we track our progress with the hashtag #Nerdlution15.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome goals! I can't wait for many more adventures together this year, including discussing our reads, growing as writing teachers, and barre workouts! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs