Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

#SOL15 Day 13 :: March 13, 2015 :: The One with Scholastic Book Orders


The March Slice of Life Story Challenge
hosted at the Two Writing Teachers
Join us for a month of writing!

Book Orders


I have a confession. 

I think one of the reasons I became a teacher is because I wanted to pass out book orders to my kids. (And have access to all the book orders all.the.time as a teacher.) 

When I was a kid, my parents did not have a lot of money. We didn't have tons of toys, but my mom would buy me books. It didn't happen all the time, but whenever I would get a book order from school, I'd circle the ones that I wanted and then beg, and plead, with my mom to get them for me. Usually she'd get me one or two. Other times, I'd go searching in the couch for the loose change to scrounge together or try to do extra chores to earn allowance from my grandparents to buy a book. Having a new book, growing up, was a luxury for me and I cherished them. I used to reread books all the time in my little collection. (It's probably why I am a big re-reader now as an adult.)

Now as an adult, I have collected tons of books over the years. It's an illness, really. My poor husband is surrounded in almost every single room in our house by my books, and now our kids' books. Being able to own books still delights the little girl inside my heart. Plus, according a study that I read, the number of books in your house apparently positively correlates to your children's success in school. I like to remind my husband every time he finds new books in our house that each book is just making our kids smarter. *wink*

One of my biggest pleasures as a teacher is sharing my love of reading with my kids and Scholastic Reading Club is so perfect for that. I have given out about $500 worth of books each year in coupons to my students for the last three years and I have paid almost nothing out of pocket to do it. Bonus Points, ROCK! Plus, I like to think that I have a knack for "selling" books to my kids. Just call me, Mrs. Book Pusher. 

I find pride that my Book Box is almost always the biggest one and I think I still get excited whenever they arrive. It's like I get to relive my childhood over and over again each month as a teacher. Thank you, Scholastic Reading Club. 


5 comments:

  1. I have the same disease! Except instead of buying new books, I was always scouring garage sales, library book sales, thrift stores, you name it! I loved buying books for next to nothing. Even better was the look upon a students face when I matched them with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for passing this on to me and helping spread the love of reading to our students! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for hooking me up with an excuse, er, um, reason for buying more books ;)
    But I guess my wife does have a point when she tells me to read the books I already have before buying more :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can relate. I love getting the biggest box too! It doesn't happen often, but once in a while I get a large order and yes, bonus points are the BOMB!

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's the simple things like the biggest book box!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
site design by designer blogs